Monday, November 7, 2011

A Decline to Children's Books?

In the past two weeks or so in class, we have been talking about children’s books. Specifically, we’ve been analyzing the images and how they work to bring in new insight to the story and how they interact with the text. What we didn’t discuss was the impacts these books have on children. When looking through nytimes.com, I found an article that particularly shocked me. It said that children stories are becoming less and less prevalent in daily lives, as parents and teachers start to push “big- kid” books earlier. In fact, many publishers have reduced the amount of picture books that they publish.

After discussing picture books in class, I think it is absolutely necessary that children read these, even if they are also at a chapter- book level of reading. These books teach children to use their imagination and their creativity, something that is necessary to their development. It can begin a child’s path on developing their critical thinking skills, which are evidently much needed as their grow older and enter higher grades needing higher levels of thinking.

It will be interesting to see the implications of picture books in the future, with everything going on the iPad and less on actual printed works. Will picture books disappear completely? Will they not be used as prevalently in the classrooms? Will bedtime stories become a thing of the past? What do you guys think?

3 comments:

  1. I had a very similar experience. At first, I found my self trying to analyze my book in the same way I analyze novels that we read. However, I soon found that this was very ineffective. With children's books, the analysis is sitting right there in front of you, and the only way to see it is it take a step back and look at the book in a simpler way. After doing this, I was able to understand the book on a basic level first, and then understand on a more complex level. The complicated aspect is understanding the space between the text and the illustrations, just like you discussed. However, I noticed that, at least in my book, it is a very similar message throughout the book. This made it easier for me because if I didn't understand the relationship on one page, I could look at another and then relate it back.
    I do not think that picture books will ever be outdated, or taken over by an ipad or any sort of technology. There is something very authentic about reading children's books, and I think that parents recognize this fact and will strive to keep the books in their children's lives. Novel's and other forms of literature are far more inclined to disintegrate and only exist in new, technologically advanced forms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I find even scarier than the lack of picture books in the lives of today's children is how much time young kids are spending sitting in front of a screen. When I babysat for my neighbor this summer (a six year old boy) it was nearly impossible for me to tear him away from his video games to go outside, and as soon as we got into the car he would beg for my phone so he could play a game and entertain himself.

    I feel like kids today are raised expecting to be entertained 24/7. I see it in restaurants and other public places all the time. Parents will hand a whining child an iPad and in seconds they will be smiling from behind the bright animated screen.

    Yet this reliance on instant gratification and constant entertainment may have an impact on the educational development of these children. Will it be even harder for them (than it was for us) to sit through a 45 minute class without taking out their phones?

    All of this may very well be the reason for the decline in children's books, as well as the point you made about the push for younger readers. Another thing to consider is how the talent that we may have found in children's book illustrators ten or even twenty years ago may be found in iPhone app producers now, where levels of Angry Birds are being created instead of picture books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely concerned about our future generations. The advancing technology of our age has, on one hand, made lives easier, but on the other seems to enslave us a bit. Children everywhere are glued to TV, computer and mobile phone screens, and don't seem to enjoy physical toys, books or hobbies anymore. Over the summer I had dinner with my mom's friend and her kids, and throughout the meal the two girls were both glued to smart phones, playing games, instead of talking or actually enjoying the food.
    Currently it seems that all books written for teens and adults are being released on e-readers, and it's sad to think that perhaps the same will happen to children's picture books, or that picture books will become obsolete altogether, perhaps becoming games or videos. We will lose the many marvels of picture books, such as texture, sparkle and pop-out shapes, that contributed to our childhood.

    ReplyDelete